Friday, March 10, 2006

VERTIGO

Studies have shown about 40% of people in the United States experience vertigo at least once during their lifetime. Prevalence is slightly higher in women and increases with age. Vertigo usually occurs as a result of a disorder in the vestibular system (i.e., structures of the inner ear, the vestibular nerve, brainstem, and cerebellum). The vestibular system is responsible for integrating sensory stimuli and movement and for keeping objects in visual focus as the body moves.

"Hello Hello - I'm at a place called vertigo" are U2's lyrics to their song....replaying in my mind since I found out this is the weird and unpleasant dizziness I'm going through. I've been experiencing vertigo since coming off of my medication a couple of weeks ago. According to Wayne, who always does his medical research, I could go through this for up to 2 months! At first I thought it was lack of sleep. We've been suspecting Sam is going through a growth spurt, as I've been up with her several times in the night since last week. Even after a day of good meals, she still wants to nurse when I get her out of the crib. On top of it I have to get up for work and then I come home to take care of her and household chores (....ok I'm not complaining here...this is everyday life for people), but when you have vertigo all day it's quite disrupting and even a little scary when you don't know why or what it is your feeling. I'll have to talk to the doctor today at my appointment and see what needs to be done. Sam also has an appointment today for her first year vaccines...I'm sure she'll sleep that experience off this afternoon!
Tomorrow is back to work, this time for the whole course of the day. It's not so bad - it gets me out, I see our regular clients who welcome me back, it's a great feeling! Plus I can have grown up conversation. HA!
How do you like the blog update by the way? I'm just getting used to this HTML stuff. I got the idea from Beth whom I do not know, just someone dropping in and commented. I visited her site and it's all jazzed up and she sounds like we have a few things in common! Thanks Beth, I'll drop by again sometime!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Hey Heidi...thanks for coming by my blog too. I am pretty new to this blog thing. So it has taken me a little while to figure things out. But I have really been enjoying it. It is fun to personalize it. Yours looks really good. I really like your blinkie that say "If God leads you to it, He will lead you throught it" That is so neat. Well sorry to hear about your vertigo. My mom has had that. It is not a fun thing. I hope your doesn't last too long. Well have a good weekend, and I am going to add you to my blog list..so I will be back.
Beth

Anonymous said...

Awesome Heidi. How do you do this?

Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. D! Thanks I'm glad you like it. How did I do this...very carefully..ha ha No really, you choose a template and go from there. I've been adding things lately, hosted by photobucket.com. It's a bit challenging to add things at first but there's blogger help etc. for that. I got the hang of it finally. Glad to see you on here! It's such an ideal place for expression!!
Talk to ya soon
Heidi