Wednesday, May 10, 2006

First Emerg Visit

Sam's had a cold for over a week and is still stuffy with runny nose. Yesterday at dinner time she was exhausted and her nose was draining like a faucet. I picked her up to take her upstairs for Infants' Tylenol Cold and noticed she felt quite hot. I administered the Tylenol amd she choked and threw up all over the bathroom. I cleaned her up and stripped her to her diaper and managed to get some Motrin into her. I gave her water and she held it down. I nursed her at 8pm and she went to sleep. By 8:30pm she still had a fever so I picked her up to give Tylenol again...again she threw up all over. It was so much too, I didn't know how I'd get the fever down if she couldn't keep medication down. My only option at this point with such a high fever was to go to the hospital where they could help. She threw up in the car on the way there and also in the triage where they tried to get the Tylenol into her...no such luck - she threw up all down my back. We were given scrubs to wear it was just so gross. Once the doctor saw her he said she has a right middle ear infection. He gave her antibiotics and a prescription I filled today. I didn't get home until 1am and didn't get to bed until 3am so I could phone Wayne in Calgary to let him know what was happening. I felt so physically sick from all of this I couln't eat until this afternoon. Sam's fever is gone and the meds have kicked in so I feel such relief. She doesn't quite have her appetite back so I'm glad I'm still nursing - but not for long if I can help it.

1 comment:

tara said...

hey there heidi! sorry i hadn't checked in until now... i had no idea sam was sick! i really feel for you, reading how many times she was sick. and you were by yourself? bummer! glad to here the prescription is making her feel better. i hope she is back to her happy self soon! take care! -tara