Friday, June 02, 2006

In Memory of 'Poppy'

This is a very sad day for the family. It was one year ago on this day that Wayne's dad passed away suddenly at the age of 63. It was a shock to all of us. He had a clean bill of health from the doctor just days prior to his passing and he suddenly collapsed on the golf course - and the thing about that is...is he always said if he had his choice to go any way, it would be doing something he loved. I don't even know where to begin to explain the kind of man that he was. He was a retired RCMP who had great respect by everyone who knew him. He was an outgoing and loving family man who I came to know and looked to as my own dad too. He was the family's rock and held his head high and remained smiling despite a bad situation. He'd do anything at anytime for anyone and you wouldn't hear him say a bad thing about it. He was a proud Irishman and the life of the party. He had many friends from coast to coast and his funeral greatly supported that! A week before his passing he had a bike made for me from scraps and he brought it over to our house. He even planned to put a seat on the back for Sam, all because I briefly mentioned one day that I'd love to take Sam for a ride if I had a bike. It almost brought tears to my eyes! That's who he was; he touched so many hearts. I'm so SOOOO glad he was able to meet Sam. We were able to snap a couple of pictures of him with her, but it was hard to get him IN pictures because he was usually the one taking them. So this is what I have of him - its' the first time he ever held her...she was 3 months old. Nicknamed 'Poppy' by my nieces Cassidy and Virginia, he and that name will forever live on in our hearts, even for Sam.

Father we thank You for the cherished times we shared with Mike here on Earth and for keeping him at peace with You. Please continue healing our heavy hearts in remembering him today and fill it with peace, joy and laughter, as we all know that's how he'd want it to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comforting comments you guys. We'll all definitely see him again one day.

Ex-playgroup mommy said...

Heidi -- My son Drew called my Dad "Poppy"...he also died suddenly 5 years ago in a car accident. Although time does heal the wound..the loss will always be there. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I'm glad to hear that others feel like I do.