Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Ear Infection

Ahh.. the joys of a cold and in Sammy's case(s) she ends up with ear infections. This was one I suspected yesterday when she woke up with a fever and runny eyes. The only other time she had a fever with runny eyes was last year with her first ear infection that sent us to the hospital when she puked profusely and couldn't keep any fever reducers down...so she had to get a suppository. Now I have them on hand and look for signs I didn't know back then to look for so that we DON'T end up in emerg again. First times are fun aren't they? So yesterday I saw runny eyes and nose and nothing else so I suspected the possibility of ears and gave her Advil and she went down for a nap. When she woke up and the Advil wore off she spiked an even higher fever. So I decided to take her to the walk-in to rule out ears. Sure enough she was on the verge of an ear infection so we got antibiotics and gave her some before bed to get ahead of the game. She spiked another fever at 4am, I gave her Tylenol and a bottle of water to suck on and we went back to sleep until 8. I gave her another dose of antibiotics and she hasn't had a fever since. It will be nice when she can finally be able to tell me what's wrong, as she doesn't and never had pulled on her ears or showed any kind of pain to let me know. Thank God for mother's instinct...and learning experiences!

No comments: