We have finally decided on a nice area to move to in the Lower Mainland (the Greater Vancouver area)! We are currently working with a realter who is sending us links and we're in the process of getting a mortgage so we are also dealing with a broker.
The little city has some great houses for less the cost than buying closer to or in Vancouver. It's a quiet, family oriented place along the Fraser River. The painful drive into dowtown everyday won't be a problem for Wayne, as he's going to be taking the commuter train which only takes a half hour. I've already searched out all my stores, etc to ensure a smooth transition (LOL); the closest 'real' shopping is only about 10 or 15 minutes away. I've been studying the Google maps to get familiar again, as it's been nearly 17 years since I lived in that part of BC. Wayne's flying to Vancouver the last week of November to view the houses the realter has sent us via email. We might possibly buy in that time if he likes what he sees! The hard part is I won't be there so hopefully he can get some good photos so I can at least see what we're deciding on. We keep watching the 'flipping houses' shows on TV to get remodelling ideas and watch for ugly things like molds, etc. Of course we'll have an inspector come in, but there still are things they can miss - and it's scary to think that you live in such a great place when you don't know there are nests of ants in your basement walls and everything!!! I shouldn't watch these shows anymore....like Holmes on Homes -but that guy is amazing, I wish we could hire him to come in! LOL
So yes I can say that the process of buying a home, especially as a first time buyer, is so stressful and the thought of moving away from this nice little life I built for myself here (aka my comfort zone) is going to be a bit emotional, but at the same time I'm so excited about what's to come and what our new home will be like! Most of all I'll be back home - a place my soul has longed for, for a very long time. Getting used to my surroundings again will take some time though of course and I guess that's also when a little fear sets in - fear of the unknown. As I said, I'm already making myself familiar by searching out the area and I've also phoned a community center for Sam's playgroups...Mother Goose is offered from 0 - 6 years and they'll be emailing me info about it too. So the more familiar I am with my surroundings before I even move will hopefully make it a smoother transition than if I'd just sat back and done nothing but worry.
There it is people, the update on our move. I'll inform you of anything new and exciting. Meanwhile I apologize for the lack of blogging lately, it seems these days have been hard since Sam's recovered from her flu, she's been quite the grump-a-chump or perhaps more like..oh no should I say it..approaching the terrible twos?!!

2 comments:
Well sounds like things are really coming along now....exciting. Moving is a lot of work, hope it all goes smooth for you. ttyl
that sounds great! I didn't see our house we just bought until the day we moved in...besides pictures that is! and great that you are doing so much research! and getting your hearts desires!
Post a Comment