Thursday, November 24, 2005

To Sleep or Not to Sleep

The week's almost over and daddy will be home tomorrow night. We've got up to 10cm of snow overnight and expecting more by the end of the day. Sam and I have had our ups and downs this week and I've tried to accept each day as it is. I try not to worry about everything being perfect and just let it go (within reason...lol) which helps immensely. The BIGGEST thing that really gets to me is helping her get to sleep when she's so tired, but she fights and fights it and turns into a huge crank, kicking and throwing fits. I can't carry her around any longer so I put her into her crib and she sits up all upset and looks like she's not going to sleep. Then I pick her up again and 5 minutes later she's rubbing her eyes and whining and whining and it all just GRATES under my skin. I cannot wait all day long for her to decide to finally give in and take a nap. This happened two days ago and I finally just had to bundle her up and take her out, as I had errands to run. Needless to say she didn't get a proper sleep, as I'd take her out of the car into the cold blowing air and she'd scream from her rude awakening. That night she fell asleep at 8:30pm and didn't wake up until 7am. I got a couple of things done and had a great sleep and woke up to an awesome day....ALL day. Last night she went to bed at 7:30pm, woke up at 1am so I brought her to bed with me, then she awoke at 5:30am. Now I've been up since and she's been doing nothing but crying, wanting to sleep but she WON'T. It drives me completely insane. This is the cause of my horrid day....lack of sleep and constant anxiety and frustration. How can anyone get anything done with this.

Anyway, thanks for reading this boring entry. As we speak she's still in her crib throwing a fit and I'm trying to ignore it. If I pick her up it will turn into one big cycle again. Before I know it, it will be noon and she'll finally sleep. Or not.

Heidi

2 comments:

Dan said...

My wife didn't go through the whole post-partum thing but we sure had our share of days like this.

We learned early on with our first daughter that if you pick her up out of the crib every time she cries then she'll just cry for the attention. Sometimes you just have to leave them alone and they'll eventually lay down and sleep.

That's easier said than done for me though. I can't stand to hear them cry so I would almost always break down. Of course, I'm wrapped around their fingers anyways....

Keep up the good mothering!

Anonymous said...

Thank you again Dan. I'm so up and down these days but getting through it! I'm sure I'll be wrapped around her finger too, it's so hard not to.