Friday, January 28, 2011

January

How does a kid start the new year, 2 weeks into the school year? Sick of course....yet AGAIN! January has been the worst for sick days with so many people I hear from school - kids and parents and teachers. Of course Sam catches the next thing going around and so I get it and so on. Finally we're back to health from our colds, although Sam's cough is still hanging on a bit.

We also took her for her dental cleaning last week and found that she has some cavities - yikes! I won't bother mentioning how many, it's too embarrassing. Nevertheless she has to have them filled and so we've been referred to a pediatric dentist due to her high level of anxiety in the chair. Did I mention she has her first loose tooth? yes. she's very squeemish about it, so this made the visit that much worse. It's been wiggling since Christmas time and it's not really budging even with the adult tooth growing....she's encouraged to push it out for the tooth fairy! The consultation was pretty nerve wracking for mama, as I learned what she'll have to go through with sedation and one baby root canal. The dentist handed me tissues as he reassured me she won't remember a thing when she wakes up. My poor baby, I know exactly what she's going to feel like and can only imagine how confused she will feel when she wakes up and doesn't understand why her mouth feels the way it does. You can't explain it to a 5 yr old. At the same time I asked if there are any meds in it for me while I'm there too.
just kidding.
okay not really.
Anyway, the appt. for all of this is set for the end of February and I won't even begin to explain how much this will cost.

On a lighter and more exciting note (at least for me)....

This has been a big month for my favorite hockey player of all time, Wayne Gretzky! He turned 50 on the 26th....happy birthday from your #1 FAN! Which reminds me that since I've always known us to be 10 years apart, I'll be turning the big 4 - 0 next month...yikes! I've got 2 birthday parties planned, this party is 2 weeks long (sporadically).

2 comments:

instant gratification girl said...

Don't feel bad Heidi, sometimes no matter how diligent we are in cleaning our kids teeth, they still get cavities! Anika just had her 7th filling and Matthew gets his 3rd filled tomorrow. Poor Sammy, (and mommy)- it's hard when they're scared or anxious of dentists!
I'm very lucky my kids love going - show Sammy Matty's video....maybe it will make her a little less scared?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2aav0-r2sk

Lisa

Heidi said...

Awe thank you Lisa for such kind words and your support! you're so thoughtful sharing your video with Sam. Anika is so brave in that chair, you're so lucky they like going! I think I'm more mentally prepared for this now, it's given me a little more time for it to sink in. I'll be giving an update.
thanks again Lisa!