Saturday, August 21, 2010

Jim Reeves singing Goodnight Irene

When I was about 5 yrs old my mom and dad would sing the chorus of this song to me and my sis Kristin before bed. It was a night time routine, we'd stand on my bed in the same room we shared, with my mom and dad standing at the bedside. They'd replace the name in the song 'Irene' with Heidi and Kristin and we'd jump into their arms ending the song with a "boomp boomp". Right after that they'd send us flying into bed with, "and a one and a two and an UP - AND OVER!" ('over' meaning over the crib rail for Kristin - so they said the same for me even if I had a regular bed). It made every night something to look forward to and something I never forgot.

I don't do the exact same with Sam, except for singing her the song to relax her as she lays in bed.....and needless to say, replacing the name 'Irene' with Sammy. She asks every night for me to sing it, even though I'm going to do it anyway - she loves it just the same, as did I.


No comments: