Thursday, April 12, 2007

Something To Do....

Since I've been house bound and without a car, I can only do so much around the house until I'm dying to find something else creative or that sparks my interest. If I'm not doing that, I'm outside supervising Sam playing with her friends. Today was a perfect opportunity to play around in the garden out front while Sam ran around with the other kids. The previous owners framed our front step and down the side of the house with cedar trees and ripped out the little patch of grass from the so-called front yard and planted a few perennials, topped with lava rocks. Now when it comes to plants and gardening I'm almost clueless, but it didn't take a genius to figure out these people didn't really know what they were doing. I needed some guidance badly. Luckily the neighbours around us have more knowledge in that area, so yesterday I was told what kinds of plants I had and what was dead, etc. Today I decided to rip out the dead parts and pull all the weeds. While doing that, I discovered from the smell that I was pulling out rosemary bushes. Too bad they died, but the garden looks better already. As I play in the dirt and trim away at the cedar trees, I listen to the kids across the street playing in the yard with Sam. I keep looking back to see what they're doing and they seemed fine until I heard crying and one of the kids ran up to say Sammy fell. I didn't hear her screaming, just a little crying so with some relief I whipped off the gloves and headed across the street. One of the other kids said she hit her head on the rocks (she tripped). I picked her up and looked at her forehead and I saw a big bruise with dots of blood under her skin. Luckily the skin hadn't broke...the head bleeds so badly. So I brought her in immediately to look her over. I put a cold cloth on it for the swelling and she pushed me away angry. I think she didn't like that I brought her inside...when I do that she knows playtime is over. I checked her out and asked her if she wanted kisses for her owie and a cookie to feel better. She stopped crying and looked me straight in the eye with tears running down her cheeks, gave me a big smile and nodded. All was well and now she's watching Miffy on the couch. Now the kids have gone inside and it's raining, so I'm going to clean the bathrooms and ponder more on paint colors. The same neighbour that helped me with the garden dilema is an interior designer - lucky me..lol .. she used to work with the builders here in the area. She lent out a palette of paint colors from Benjamine Moore for me to take home (this was last week). Yesterday I brought her in to get her opinion on things and I got a lot of great information and tips and color suggestions...man I'm on a roll with things now. This is so fun! And Wayne said I can design the deck for the back yard, which he'll start on this summer. I'm pretty excited about our projects, I only used to imagine how owning a home could be so much fun. Once I get some things on the go I'll post some pictures.

No comments: