Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Pineapple Express

"Welcome aboard the Pineapple Express" is something you'll often hear when you live on the coast of Vancouver. It stems from the warm weather systems from the Hawaiian tropics (gee aren't we lucky). We haven't had any snow since the beginning of December and the weather has been more than just the typical downpours of rain we always put up with at this time. The temperatures have been 5 degrees above the norm which is about 6 C. Having to step outside in balmy 11 degrees for weeks on end has been such a blessing, even if rain comes with it I don't mind one bit! The palm trees obviously love it and I even noticed the neighbor's garden is budding new green foliage already. I've still been on top of the palm tree protection, despite the overnight 8 degree temperatures, we're expecting this warmth to come to a halt by next week. If the center spear of the palm has been wet, it will risk dying if the temps ever go to freezing overnight again. SOOOO...I've had the tree tops covered with plastic clear bags to keep them dry. I can't wait until February to uncover and open them back up and let them take in the new spring air.

No comments: